Liberty Municipal Library

Loading palette preview Loading

History Behind the Library

"The Library is not only a diary of the human race, but marks an act of faith in the continuity of humanity." - Vartan Gregorian (1934- ), President, Carnegie Corporation of New York

Geraldine Humphreys
Geraldine D. Humphreys


How the Library Began

The historically known site of "Seven Pines," on which the library is located, was once the home of Camilla Geraldine Davis Humphreys, whose Hardin forbearers also resided on the property.  Mrs. Humphreys was vitally interested in the early history of her community and was an early proponent for the community library, theater, and museum dedicated to preserving the records and artifacts of the past for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations.  The late Mrs. Humphreys provided in her will for the establishment of the charitable foundation to make contributions for historical, educational, and cultural purposes.  In accordance with these wishes, the trustees of the Humphreys Foundation donated the property and sufficient funds for the construction of a library and theater building known as the Humphreys Cultural Center.  On October 18, 1970, the Liberty Municipal Library officially opened its doors.

Cultural Center Expansion

The Geraldine D. Humphreys Cultural center was completely renovated and expanded in 2009/10.  The Library doubled in size with a new adult wing, teen area, new staff offices and workspace, restrooms and upstairs storage.  The existing library was refreshed with new lighting, carpeting, a new circulation desk, completely remodeled restrooms, and other enhancements.  The Humpreys-Burson Theatre added 3,400 square feet of storage and received new carpeting, refurbished seating and other improvements.  An elevator was installed in the foyer making the entire building accessible for all.

Back to the Top